How ImpactADHD Helps Parents
How are We Different?
Parenting kids with ADHD can be stressful, overwhelming, isolating and frustrating. It can also be joyful and positively entertaining. But for many of us, the stress is ever-present, and the ‘good stuff’ is all-too-often out of reach.
ImpactADHD is committed to changing that ‘reality.’ We help parents of kids with ADHD shift your family from merely surviving, to absolutely thriving.
At ImpactADHD, we blend parent training with parent coaching, and it gets results. In essence, we’ve devised a new approach to an old problem. Why not? Isn’t motherhood the necessity of invention!?
Research shows that parent training is an effective component of any ADHD treatment plan. However, according to Dr. Russell Barkley, poor parent compliance – that is, a parent’s inability to follow through with recommendations in the training — reduces its overall benefit.
Meanwhile, parent coaching is an effective method of supporting parents in taking the information available to them and turning it into constructive action.
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that parent coaching and training are a perfect match for each other. In our case, it did take two moms, who became coaches, and realized what a difference in made in helping us raise our ADHD kids!
Our approach at ImpactADHD is effective
- We focus parents on learning what they need to know, and deciding what is best for their personal situation.
- We empower parents to take care of themselves, so that they’ll be the best parents they can be for their complex kids.
- We coach parents through the process of applying the information they know and turning it into action.
- We teach parents to use coaching skills with their kids, modeling strong communication and strategies for successful action.
- We provide a structure for parents to hold themselves accountable with the support of a coach and/or their peers.
Typically, parent options for support are limited to therapy, consulting, and education. Parent coaching & training combined offers a new kind of practical support that focuses on the parent, providing a positive environment for effective parenting.
At ImpactADHD, we call this the “Coach-Approach to Conscious Parenting.” We know from our own personal experience that it can make a powerful difference for your family, as well as your enjoyment of raising your kids (which should not be underestimated! Seriously, it’s important. Check out our blog, Happy Parents Lead to Happy Kids!).
We Teach a Coach-Approach to Parenting
We all know that when kids have a champion in their corner, it makes for better performance, and a better life. The coach-approach helps parents be that champion for their kids in a positive, empowering way. It is a way of communicating that is open, accepting, motivating, non-judgmental (in all the good ways), encouraging, honest and constructive.
As parents, we want the best for our children. Sometimes that can get in the way of our relationships with them. We get so caught up in what we think is best that we forget they are independent human beings.
A coach-approach helps parents navigate the fine line between guiding their kids and still encouraging independence. It helps parents see the best in their kids, and seek to help them reach their full potential. The focus is primarily on learning and improvement, rather than correction and criticism.
For parents, a coach-approach offers a way to:
• Help kids determine their strengths and motivations
• Expose kids to the benefits of celebrating successes
• Teach kids to shift perspectives and get “unstuck”
• Share life lessons, both positive and negative
• Support kids in figuring out what they want in their lives
• Provide constructive feedback and accountability
• Share their values, beliefs and perspectives
When you join us at ImpactADHD – whether you are reading our blogs or signing up for a coaching program – you’ll experience our difference right away. We are where coaching, training and parenting come together in the service of both parents and kids!
We want to be your Coach, because we know we can help. We hope you’ll give yourself, and your family, the gift of checking us out! (link to sanity)