“Our chief want in life is somebody who will make us do what we can.”
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
What do successful actors, athletes and executives have in common? They all use coaches to help them live their dreams and be their best. When you’re ready to take control of your life, to take the bull by the horns, Coaching is a great way to make it happen.
The term coaching comes from the word stagecoach. At it’s core, coaching is about helping people get from where they are to where they want to go. The coaching process empowers clients (individuals or groups), increases their self awareness., and encourages conscious decision making. From there, coaching helps people move forward into focused and organized action, and create accountability to measure progress.
How can you argue with the benefit of having a coach on your side, witnessing your story and encouraging you to reach for your dreams ? That, alone, is a powerful motivator. Behind each coach is an understanding about humans and their relationship to success that is powerfully effective in helping people create lasting change.
There are many coaching philosophies and approaches, but at least 6 Core Coaching Concepts seem universal. They tend to surface with every client, and understanding them can change your life (drum-roll, please):
1. Pause/Breathe. Never underestimate the value of taking a break, a pause, or a breather, whether it’s deep breathing, counting to 10, or walking away before reacting. “Pause” has the power to re-direct and diffuse even the most difficult circumstances.
2. Awareness is at least 50% of the process of creating change. Okay, so we’re making up that statistic, but you get the picture. Change is more likely to happen once you clearly look at some aspect of your life, get to know it, and learn to accept what you can. Then, when you see what you want to be different – even visualize what change might look like – you’ll find you’re more than half-way to success.
3. When you Shift Perspectives you change what is possible, and that can lead to different outcomes. In fact, it’s almost impossible to make sustainable change in your life without changing your underlying thoughts or perspective. The best part: you have complete control over your perspective and can change it at any time. One example is the power of the three words: Up Until Now. If you want to change your perspective on a situation, simply adding ”up until now” – and beginning to believe it –can re-direct almost any situation toward a new outcome.
4. We all have Inner Voices – also known as Gremlins or Saboteurs – but we do not have to listen to them. We are talking about those little voices creating mischief in our heads, telling us what is wrong with us, what we cannot do, and generally trying to prevent us from changing in any way. Guess what? They don’t speak the truth, even if they sound like they do. They are loud, but they rely on our buy-in for their power, and we don’t have to give it to them.
5. Surprise, You are Human. In fact, we all are! Each one of us is a creative, resourceful human being worthy of love, respect, and forgiveness. We need it more from ourselves than anyone! We are not broken in need of fixing, though most of us naturally feel that way. What would it mean to accept that everything is perfect, just the way it is? It’s empowering to deny some ideal and accept our true selves.
6. You are At Choice. Every moment of every day, you are making choices, even when you think you have no choice. For example, I don’t have to do the dishes, but I choose to have a clean kitchen because it benefits me in other ways. When you recognize the choices you are making, and begin to take responsibility for them – that is freedom.
So that’s it. When you pay attention to any or all of these 6 concepts, things will begin to shift and change in your life. You almost can’t help yourself. Sure, it helps to have the support of a community or a coach to keep you actively on track. That’s why we hope you’ll join us at ImpactADHD™. But if you take nothing more than these concepts from your visit to our community, then we’re confident you’ve spent your time here well.
Of course, ImpactADHD offers hundreds (thousands?) of other little bits of wisdom that surface in the world of coaching, and we hope you’ll come back for more. It’s up to you. After all, you are At Choice.
Note: Elaine was honored to be featured in an article at Women.com which talked about the value of life coaching for women. Check it out!