In general, people with ADD have a hard time doing things that are boring. That includes taking good care of yourself. Let’s face it, Eating well, exercising, getting enough sleep, drinking enough water, taking vitamins – they all take so much time! What’s worse, they can be so boring!
I realize that when I take the time to do the boring aspects of self-care, the benefits are well worth it. It’s a dilemma, because it’s all about delayed gratification, something that is not easy for people with ADHD.
So my suggestion this week is to do something boring for yourself. Here’s how:
- Identify something you really want to do for yourself that you've been having trouble sticking with.
- Figure out what the benefits will be for you when you do it.
- Really focus on your motivation – get specific, or draw a picture or write yourself a big note about WHY you want to do it.
- Figure out how you might make that one thing more interesting or fun.
- Tell someone else that you plan to focus on this one area (accountability helps).
- Commit to sticking with this ONE thing for 3 weeks.
Give it a try and see if it works. At the very least, it won't be boring!